Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Healthy Homemade Granola Bars




Granola bars are one of my very favorite snacks.
They are satisfying, delicious, healthy, and easy to grab when you're in a rush. Granola bars can be extremely basic and quick, or they can be sweet and flavorful. There is so much you can do with a granola bar. You can eat them just as they are, or crumble them over your yogurt or ice cream. They are the perfect complement to a steaming cup of cocoa, coffee, or tea. Granola bars are also fabulous snacks for the road because they aren't too messy, and are really filling. Overall, I love granola bars.



However, I must clarify that I am not a fan of all granola bars. I have found that many granola bars contain high fructose corn syrup or other harmful ingredients. Besides that, why spend money buying granola bars, when you can enjoy the experience of making your own healthy bars at home?

Not only will you be saving money, but you will also be sparing your body of all those unhealthy ingredients. I have an awesome granola recipe for you to try today. I have tried a variety of granola bar recipes in the past, but this one is by far my favorite.




Have some fun with this recipe and experiment with your favorite flavors. You can really get creative and customize this recipe to your preference. As a peanut butter lover, I would recommend adding that heavenly goodness to this recipe. If you are a choco-holic, you can add chocolate chips/chunks, or you could even try adding cocoa powder. I'm sure you could even make these into pumpkin granola bars if you like.

Granola Bars
  • 1/4 c. canola oil
  • 1/4 c. applesauce
  • 1/2 c. packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 egg
  • 1 c. all-purpose flour (or whole wheat)
  • 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1 1/2 c. old-fashioned oats
  • 1 1/4 c. crispy rice cereal
  • 1 c. mixed nuts
  • 1 c. raisins
In a bowl, mix together the oil, sugar, vanilla, and egg. Next add in your dry ingredients.
When they are thoroughly combined, add in your raisins and nuts. If you are adding chocolate chips, now would be the time to add those in. Next press the granola mixture into a greased 9 x 13 pan. Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the top is lightly browned.

This recipe should yield about 24 granola bars. When your granola is done baking, let it cool for about 5 minutes, and enjoy!


I hope that you love this recipe as much as I do - or more! Please let me know how you liked it once you tried it. If you have any questions or suggestions, please comment and let me know. I am so eager to hear how you guys liked it, so once you make these granola bars, please remember to tell me how they turned out. Thanks!



These granola bars would make a lovely gift. You could make them a bit sweeter - maybe add some chocolate chips - and wrap them up beautifully and tie them with a ribbon perhaps. These are great for packing in your school lunch-box, or as an after-school snack. When and where do you like to eat your granola bars?

Question of the Day:
What is your favorite granola bar? 
(I like Nature Valley peanut butter crunch.)

No comments:

Post a Comment