Thursday, December 12, 2013

My Banana Bread Mistake

Happy Holidays!

I know I haven't blogged in quite a long while, so I thought I would get back in the groove with a healthy and delicious recipe - banana bread. I LOVE bananas, and I LOVE bread. So... what could be better than a warm slice of banana bread for breakfast?



A few weeks ago, my mom asked me to whip up some banana bread for breakfast. I was more than happy to help, and I began pulling out the ingredients. Now whenever I cook/bake, I always try to modify the recipes and make them as healthy as possible. When my mom suggested I make a banana bread, I immediately thought of a banana bread that Taralynn had made. (You can find her recipe here: Healthy Gluten Free Banana Bread.)

Taralynn's Banana Bread
I explained to my mom what the basic ingredients were, and she said that I could base mine around that. Well, Taralynn uses a flax & whole grain, gluten-free flour in her recipe. I thought we could use some milled golden flaxseed in ours. Apparently my mom said to use 2c. of whole wheat flour, and 1/2c. to 1 c. of milled flaxseed. I completely misunderstood her, and put 2 c. of milled flaxseed and 1 c. of whole wheat flour, thus resulting in a whole new creation - Flaxseed Banana Bread.


My mom was shocked when I told her what I had done. She said that she could taste a different flavor in the bread, but that it wasn't too bad. She said it was good, but she prefers the original recipe. I guess I added too much flaxseed for her liking. :)
However, my dad really liked it, and I LOVED it! I was very pleasantly surprised by the unique flavor of the flaxseed, and I actually prefer this recipe to the other. This one is not as sweet, but it is delicious and filling. I especially enjoyed eating this with a bit of peanut butter spread on top. Yum! :)

I hope that you will give this banana bread a try and love it as much as I do - or more! Please remember to comment below and let me know how you like this recipe if you happen to try it. Thanks!



Healthy Flaxseed Banana Bread

  • 2 c. milled golden flaxseed
  • 1 c. whole wheat flour
  • 2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
  • 3/4 - 1c. sugar
  • 1/4. oil
  • 1/4 c. applesauce
  • 2 eggs
  • 4 very ripe bananas
  • 1/2 c. almond milk
  • 2 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 c. raisins
  • 1/2 c. walnuts (optional)
  • 1/2 c. shredded coconut (optional)

You will first need to assemble your ingredients, and preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. If you are using frozen bananas, make sure that you allow time for them to soften before making this recipe. 


In a large bowl, add in your flaxseed, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and sugar.


Next you will need to add in the oil, applesauce, eggs, bananas, milk, and vanilla. 



Stir very well, then add in the raisins, walnuts, and coconut. I didn't add any walnuts this time, but they are sooo delicious in this bread. If you can add them, I highly recommend that you do.


Once thoroughly mixed, pour batter into a greased 9x5 inch loaf pan. Bake at 350 degrees for about 30-35 minutes, or until light brown/golden. It should feel firm to the touch. Let cool for about 5 minutes, then slice and enjoy!


I recommend topping your slice of bread with a teaspoon of peanut butter. The peanut butter really compliments this bread. In fact, I actually prefer the bread with some peanut butter on top. Also, I enjoyed my banana bread with a steaming cup of chai tea. It was the perfect breakfast for a cool winter morning. I hope you enjoyed this recipe.



If you enjoyed this post, please subscribe to the Fit2Be Blog, or follow through BlogLovin'. I hope you have a fabulous day and may God bless you always!

Question of the Day:
Have you ever made a cooking/baking mistake? If so, was the result a masterpiece or truly a mistake? :)

Love & Grace,
Mariah

No comments:

Post a Comment