Friday, June 27, 2014

Robyn Coale Interview - Part 2

Hello my friends!

I hope you are all excited to continue reading about Robyn from The Real Life RD! She posts frequently on her blog, so make sure you subscribe to get her posts :) Before you start - if you enjoy reading this interview, please make sure to share on Twitter, Facebook, or any other social media websites!




6. I know that you stress the importance of having a balanced diet. When you’re not eating “clean,” what is your favorite indulgent meal?

I like to view foods in terms of a “focus.” So I focus on all those nutrient dense plant foods- fruits and veggies [especially dark leafy greens], whole grains that are the least processed like rice, quinoa, buckwheat, etc, beans and legumes and healthy whole food fats like avocado, nuts and seeds. Then if I want other foods, that’s totally okay, but I focus on wholesome foods that nourish my body so I know I’m getting all the nutrients I need. It’s all about balance, and if I want something- I’m going to eat it. But overall I find that when I’m eating the “focus” foods, my body just craves the good stuff most often- but when a craving does strike... I LOVE a wood fire, veggie pizza with a really good goat cheese, a glass [or two!] of red wine and then follow that with some really good ice cream- mint chocolate chip or cookies and cream are my fav. 

7. Is there any  piece of advice/knowledge that has helped you most in your life?

To be okay with not being okay. We don’t always have to be okay and do all the things and have it all together. When I finally realized it was okay to not be okay all the time, I not only fully embraced who God created me to be, but my relationships with others grew stronger. I was able to love others better, and I found so much more joy in life. I stopped trying to perfect everything and instead started seeing everything through a grace-filled lens. It’s something I have to remind myself of everyday. 

8. Reading your “About the RD” page is truly inspiring. You have accomplished so many incredible things, and you continue to amaze me. If you had to choose one thing that has been your greatest achievement, what would it be?

Well, I’d say anything and everything in my life is the Lord’s doing- He has blessed me more than I ever imagined, and I just feel really grateful. Of course I have my struggles too, I’m human, but I feel very blessed. Being accepted and starting a graduate nursing program at Columbia University is definitely up there, but overall I’d say seeing Nutshell Nutrition grow into the private practice it’s become is at the top. When I started Nutshell, it was really just to make a little extra money so I could pay off my student loans from undergrad. I didn’t grow up with a lot of money, my mom was a single mom of 5 working as a teacher, so I wanted to be able to get myself out of student loan debt as fast as possible and then start saving. And at first, I had a few clients and I was blogging, but I hadn’t really found my niche yet. I was practicing the same way I am today, but I hadn’t realized that the way I practiced nutrition as an RD was something that was different than most RDs, and that’s what I should start blogging about- my passion for helping people find food freedom, eat more, and nourish their bodies well. Today, it’s my sole source of income and the business has grown into something I never thought it would be. Everyday I’m thankful for what it’s become, and I hope to continue to grow the business while I’m in nursing school.

9. Is there anything “big” that your are working towards? What is one major goal that you hope to achieve?

I actually just started an accelerated nursing program at Columbia University to become a Nurse Practitioner. After working as an RD for a year and a half, I realized that my passion for helping others extended far beyond food. Especially as Nutshell Nutrition grew and I was seeing more and more clients, I wanted to know more and help them, but I felt like I was at a dead end in my practice- I couldn’t comprehensively care for people like I wanted to. The program is 2 1/2 years and after the first 12 months I will have a BSN and be an RN, then over the next 18 months I will do the master’s portion and graduate in December of 2016 as a Family Nurse Practitioner with a speciality in women’s health. Then if I decide to go on, I can do another 18 months of school and graduate with a Doctorate in Nursing Practice. So that’s where I’m at now. I’m still an RD and although the program is very intense, I will continue to do Nutshell Nutrition as long as I am able while in school!

10. On busy days, or when you just don’t know what you want to eat, what is your go-to healthy meal?

Hands down, roasted potatoes [yukon gold and sweet potatoes] that I slice into discs, toss in coconut oil and bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes. Along with that I love a homemade veggie burger I’ve had in the freezer or a good quality one from the store- like Sunshine brand or Hillary’s burgers- and a kale salad [massage kale with EVOO + lime juice and sea salt] with sliced avocado on top!

And that's all, folks! I hope you've enjoyed this two-part interview! Make sure you subscribe and comment below! Have a super, super great week and keep shining for HIM.

Olivia

No comments:

Post a Comment