Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Healthy Oatmeal Cookies

Yesterday morning I made oatmeal cookies for my family.
I found this recipe in the "400 Calorie Fix" cookbook, and thought it looked really good, so I decided to give it a try. My dad loved them, and everyone else thought that they were super good as well. I was really pleased with this recipe and will definitely be making these again. They were a perfect snack.

When I saw this recipe I was really excited because these cookies were really healthy and low-cal. However, this recipe didn't make too many. I come from a family of eight, and a batch of these cookies made sixteen. It was perfect - two for everyone. However, I was hoping that these might last us longer than one day. Besides that, my version of these cookies had more calories. I'm not sure how big the recipe wanted me to make these, but their recipe is supposed to yield forty-two, and mine yielded sixteen. A serving size - two cookies, according to their recipe - is 110 calories. Since I only got 16 cookies, my sister calculated that these cookies were about 124 calories each. That was a bummer.

Anyway, they were still really good, and if you can figure out how to get more cookies from the batter - go for it! Below is my version of oatmeal cookies. They were quick and easy to make, with little clean-up involved. I hope you enjoy them! :)


Here are all of my ingredients and cooking utensils spread out. You will need a large mixing bowl, measuring cups and spoons, and a wooden spatula. Now, if you have all of your equipment together, let's get baking!

Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 c. old-fashioned oats
  • 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 c. whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
  • 1/2 c. brown sugar
  • 1/4 c. canola oil
  • 2 tbsp. honey
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1/4 c. raisins
I made some slight adjustments to the original cookie recipe. I was out of whole wheat flour, so I just used 1 cup of all-purpose flour. Also, the original recipe calls for mini chocolate chips and cranberries. I omitted the chocolate, and substituted the cranberries for raisins. Lastly, I had to replace  the honey for our homemade syrup, because we didn't have any honey. Just a side note - next time I make these, I will reduce the sugar to 1/4 cup. They were just a bit too sweet for our family, and 1/2 cup of sugar doesn't seem necessary.

Directions:
In a large bowl, mix together the oats, flour, baking soda, salt, and ground nutmeg.
Then in a separate bowl, mix together the brown sugar, oil, honey, egg, and vanilla.
(I did use two bowls this time, but I usually mix everything together in one bowl. It saves me from washing extra dishes.)


Once you have your two bowls of ingredients mixed properly, combine the two mixtures together and stir well. It should look like this -


Okay, now grease a baking sheet and drop your cookies onto it. As I said before, this recipe made 16 cookies. You could make them smaller if you want more, but I felt like these were the perfect size for me. While you get your cookies ready, preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Then pop them in and let them bake for 15 minutes.


When the cookies are done they should be golden and slightly firm to the touch. Let them cool for about five minutes and then you can enjoy these yummy treats. After they have cooled for a bit, they will be crisp, warm, and delicious.



These are really scrumptious and filling, and you can enjoy these with milk, coffee, cocoa, or tea.
I had a cup of green tea, and two of these yummy oatmeal cookies for my mid-morning snack. They were so good. I hope that you like these too! 



If you try this recipe, please let me know how you like it. Comment below to share your tips, other cookie recipes, or random thoughts on this post. Thank you! May God bless you abundantly now and forever. :)

LOVE,
MARIAH




No comments:

Post a Comment